Lime scooters have become a popular mode of transportation in Orlando, Florida, with many residents and tourists using them to navigate the city. However, with the rise in popularity of Lime scooters in the city, there has also been a corresponding increase in the number of accidents involving these vehicles.
If you have been injured in a Lime scooter accident in Orlando, Florida because of a careless or negligent party, you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
In this article, we will discuss Lime scooter accidents in Orlando, the causes of these accidents, the types of injuries they can cause, and what you should do if you've been injured in a Lime scooter accident.
Lime Scooter Accidents in Orlando, Florida
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles, there were 44 reported accidents involving Lime scooters in Orlando in 2019, and 25 accidents in the first half of 2020. While these numbers may seem low, they do not account for accidents that go unreported or for the severity of injuries sustained in reported accidents. As more Lime scooters are placed on the streets of Orlando, it's important to be aware of the risks and take steps to protect yourself and others on the road.
Lime Scooter Accident Lawsuit
If you are hit by a car while riding a Lime scooter in Orlando, Florida, you may be able to sue the driver of the car for any injuries, damages, and losses you sustained as a result of the accident. In Florida, drivers have a legal duty to exercise reasonable care while driving, which includes being aware of their surroundings and looking out for other vehicles, including Lime scooters.
If you are hit by a car while riding a Lime scooter, you may be able to sue the driver for negligence if they breached their duty of care and their actions directly caused your injuries. Negligence occurs when a person fails to exercise the level of care that a reasonably prudent person would in similar circumstances. For example, a driver may be considered negligent if they were texting while driving, speeding, or failing to stop at a red light or stop sign.
If you sue the driver for your injuries, you and your lawyer will be working together to prove that the other driver or party was at fault for the accident and that you suffered damages as a result. Damages may include things like medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and property damage. It's important to gather evidence and speak with an experienced Florida personal injury attorney to determine whether you have a strong case and to help you navigate the legal process.
Causes of Lime Scooter Accidents in Orlando, Florida
There are several common causes of Lime scooter accidents in Orlando, Florida, including the following:
Some Lime scooter riders engage in reckless behavior, such as riding at high speeds, weaving in and out of traffic, or failing to obey traffic laws, which can lead to accidents.
Lime scooter riders who are using their phones or listening to music may be less aware of their surroundings, increasing the risk of accidents.
Poor Road Conditions
Uneven pavement, potholes, and other road hazards can cause Lime scooter riders to lose control of their vehicles, leading to accidents.
Lack of Proper Signage
A lack of proper signage, including traffic signals, crosswalks, and other safety features, can lead to confusion among riders and drivers, increasing the risk of accidents.
Inexperienced Lime scooter riders may not have had enough practice riding an e-scooter to develop the necessary skills and instincts to navigate the roads safely.
Common Injuries Sustained in Lime Scooter Accidents
Lime scooter accidents in Orlando can result in a range of injuries, from minor cuts and bruises to more serious injuries that require hospitalization. Here are some of the most common injuries sustained in Lime scooter accidents:
Head injuries are a common occurrence in Lime scooter accidents and can range from mild concussions to severe traumatic brain injuries.
Fractures and Broken Bones
Lime scooter riders may sustain fractures or broken bones in their hands, arms, legs, or feet if they fall from their vehicle.
Soft Tissue Injuries
Soft tissue injuries, such as sprains and strains, are also common in Lime scooter accidents and can result in significant pain and limited mobility.
Lime scooter riders who fall from their vehicle may sustain road rash, which is a painful skin abrasion caused by friction with the road surface.
Spinal Cord Injuries
In severe Lime scooter accidents, riders may sustain spinal cord injuries that can result in paralysis or other long-term disabilities.
Steps to Take if You've Been Injured in a Lime Scooter Accident
If you've been injured in a Lime scooter accident in Orlando, Florida, there are several steps you should take to protect your legal rights and ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first and most important step is to seek medical attention, even if your injuries seem minor. Some injuries may not be apparent immediately after the accident and can worsen over time. It's important to get a full medical evaluation to assess the extent of your injuries and receive any necessary treatment.
- Document the Accident: Take photos of the accident scene, including any damage to the Lime scooter and any injuries you sustained. This evidence can be crucial in proving your case in the event of a lawsuit.
- Report the Accident to the Police: Contact the police to report the accident and to get a police report. The police report can be used as evidence in any legal proceedings that may arise from the accident.
- Gather Information: Get the contact and insurance information of any other parties involved in the accident, as well as the contact information of any witnesses to the accident.
- Contact the Lime Scooter Company: Report the accident to the Lime scooter rental company as soon as possible. They may have specific procedures that you need to follow in order to report the accident properly.
- Speak to an Attorney: Consult with a personal injury attorney who has experience with Lime scooter accidents to understand your legal options and protect your rights. They can help you to navigate the legal process and ensure that you receive the compensation you are entitled to for your injuries and other damages.
If you've been injured in a Lime scooter accident in Orlando, Florida, you may be entitled to compensation for your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages. It's important to seek legal representation from an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you to understand your legal rights and options. An attorney can investigate the circumstances of the accident, gather evidence, negotiate with insurance companies, and represent you in court if necessary.
Preventing Lime Scooter Accidents in Orlando, Florida
While Lime scooter accidents can be serious, there are steps you can take to reduce the risk of accidents and injuries:
- Wear a Helmet: Wearing a helmet can help reduce the risk of head injuries in the event of an accident.
- Follow Traffic Laws: Lime scooter riders should follow the same traffic laws as other vehicles on the road, including obeying traffic signals and signs, staying in designated bike lanes, and riding in the same direction as traffic.
- Ride Defensively: Lime scooter riders should be aware of their surroundings and ride defensively, anticipating potential hazards and avoiding risky behavior.
- Avoid Riding in Poor Conditions: Lime scooter riders should avoid riding in inclement weather, on uneven or poorly maintained pavement, or in areas with heavy traffic.
Contact an Orlando Lime Scooter Accident Lawyer for a FREE Legal Consultation
If you have been injured in a Lime scooter accident as a result of the negligence, recklessness, or carelessness of another party, you should speak with an experienced Florida Lime scooter accident attorney as soon as possible because you may be entitled to compensation. You can contact us online or you can call our Orlando, Florida law office at (321) 352-7588 to schedule your consultation.
Injured in a Lime scooter accident in another state? In addition to Florida, we have at least one lawyer licensed in Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. If you need a South Carolina, Georgia, or North Carolina personal injury lawyer, don’t hesitate to reach out to us.