Tragedy struck on the morning of Tuesday, February 21, 2023, as an 84-year-old man lost his life in a fatal collision on US 1 at Pine Island Road in St. Johns County, Florida. The crash involved a semi-truck that was crossing the southbound lanes of the highway, aiming to turn left onto northbound US 1. The accident resulted in the elderly man's vehicle sliding under the side of the truck, resulting in a side underride crash.
The Florida Highway Patrol's report indicates that the driver of the car passed away at the scene of the accident. The crash led to the blocking of all southbound lanes on US 1 for several hours, causing traffic delays.
The 27-year-old semi-truck driver from Orange Park escaped the crash unscathed. The FHP report indicates that both drivers were wearing seat belts at the time of the collision.
What Should I Do After Getting Into a Serious Trucking Accident?
Trucking accidents can be some of the most catastrophic and life-altering events on the road. If you or a loved one has been involved in a trucking accident, it can be challenging to know what to do next. Here are a few crucial steps to take after a serious trucking accident:
- Seek Medical Attention: The first step after any accident is to prioritize your health and safety. Seek medical attention right away, even if you feel that your injuries are minor. Some injuries may not be apparent right away, and early medical intervention can be crucial to preventing long-term damage.
- Contact the Authorities: Call the police or 911 immediately after an accident, even if no one is injured. The police will create an accident report that can be used later when filing an insurance claim or pursuing legal action.
- Gather Information: Collect as much information as possible at the scene of the accident. This includes the names and contact information of all parties involved, the truck driver's license and insurance information, the trucking company's information, and any witness information.
- Document the Scene: Take pictures and videos of the accident scene, including the damage to all vehicles involved, any visible injuries, and the surrounding area.
- Contact a Florida Trucking Accident Attorney: It is essential to contact a personal injury attorney who specializes in trucking accidents as soon as possible after an accident. An experienced attorney can help you navigate the complex legal system, deal with insurance companies, and fight for your rights and compensation.
Do You Want a Free Consultation With a Florida Truck Accident Attorney?
If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in an accident involving a semi truck, 18-wheeler, tractor trailer, or any other commercial vehicle, you should speak with a skilled, experienced, and aggressive Florida truck accident lawyer as soon as possible because you may be entitled to compensation. Please don’t hesitate to contact us on our website, or you can call our Orlando, Florida personal injury law firm today at (321) 352-7588 to schedule your free consultation by phone. When you schedule a consultation at our law firm, you will get a consultation with a truck accident lawyer, not a customer service representative or intake person.
If you need a South Carolina personal injury lawyer, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (843) 638-6590. We have at least one lawyer licensed in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. So, if you’ve been injured in the Southeast, we may be able to help you. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us.
For more information on truck accidents, you can download our free e-book: 10 BIG Questions You Need Answered After a Truck Accident.
For more information on personal injury cases in general, you can download our free personal injury guide: P.I. 101: Your Quick Guide to Personal Injury Claims.
Disclaimer: Nothing in this article is meant to be a guarantee of results. Past case results do not guarantee future case results. Each case is unique. The information in this article has been gathered from various sources on Google. Thus, we cannot guarantee there are no inaccuracies herein. We can and will correct or remove this post upon request. You can email us at [email protected]. Finally, the information contained in this article is not meant to be legal advice in any way. If you have legal questions, you should contact an attorney.