How Do You Get a Copy of An Accident Report in Florida?Accidents can be a traumatic experience, and navigating the aftermath can feel overwhelming. One crucial aspect of dealing with the consequences is obtaining a copy of the accident report. In this article, we will discuss the process of obtaining a copy of an accident report in Florida, addressing essential questions such as how to get a police report, access the report online, and the timeframe for obtaining the report. We'll also explore the legal aspects of an accident in Florida and how a personal injury law firm like Spetsas Buist PLLC can help.

Understanding Florida's Accident Report System

Importance of Obtaining an Accident Report

An accident report is a crucial document that provides details about the accident, such as the parties involved, the date and time of the incident, location, and any injuries sustained. This report is a valuable resource when filing insurance claims, settling disputes, and pursuing legal action if necessary.

Types of Accident Reports

In Florida, there are two primary types of accident reports: the Florida Traffic Crash Report and the Florida Traffic Crash Report-Long Form. The former is a brief report that provides essential details, while the latter offers a more comprehensive account of the accident.

How to Get a Police Report in Florida

There are three ways to obtain a police report in Florida: in person, by mail, or online.

In Person

You can visit the local law enforcement agency that investigated the accident and request a copy of the report. Make sure to bring a valid ID and be prepared to pay a small fee for the copy.

By Mail

If you prefer to request the report by mail, you can send a written request to the law enforcement agency along with a self-addressed stamped envelope and the required fee. Be sure to include details such as the case number, date of the accident, and names of the parties involved.


Many law enforcement agencies in Florida provide online access to accident reports. You can visit their official website and follow the instructions to request a copy of the report.

How to Get Your Florida Accident Report Online

Florida's Official Crash Portal (Quickest and Easiest Method)

Florida's Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) maintains the official crash portal, where you can access accident reports. Visit the Florida Crash Portal and follow the instructions to search for and obtain a copy of the report.

This is, by far, the quickest and easiest way to get your accident report. We go through this process ten or more times per week, and we rarely have any problems. We are lucky to have this system in Florida.

Third-Party Providers

If, for some reason, you don’t want to use the Florida Crash Portal, there are several third-party providers offer access to accident reports online. These providers may charge a fee for their services, so be sure to research and compare your options before choosing one. Some of the more popular third-party providers include CrashDocs and LexisNexis. Keep in mind that availability may vary depending on the law enforcement agency involved in the accident investigation.

Timeframe for Obtaining a Police Report After an Accident in Florida

The timeframe for obtaining a police report after an accident in Florida can vary. In general, it takes about 10 days for the report to become available. However, this timeframe may be longer if the accident is complex or requires additional investigation. It's essential to be patient and periodically check the status of your report with the relevant law enforcement agency.

Navigating the Legal Aspects of an Accident in Florida

Florida's No-Fault Insurance System

Florida operates under a no-fault insurance system, meaning that in most cases, your own insurance company will cover your medical expenses and lost wages, regardless of who is at fault for the accident. However, in severe cases involving significant injuries, you may be able to pursue a claim against the at-fault party.

Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit

If you've sustained significant injuries or damages from an accident, you may be considering filing a personal injury lawsuit. In Florida, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims, including car accidents, is four (4) years. In other words, you typically have four years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit. It's essential to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney, like those at Spetsas Buist PLLC, to ensure someone is there to help you understand your legal rights and options.

How the Accident Attorneys at Spetsas Buist PLLC in Orlando, Florida Can Help

At Spetsas Buist PLLC, we understand the complexities of Florida's accident and personal injury laws. Our experienced attorneys can help you navigate the legal process, ensuring that you receive the compensation you deserve. From obtaining your accident report to representing you in court, our team is committed to providing the support and guidance you need during this challenging time. Additionally, when you work with us, you get your lawyer’s cell phone.

Florida Accident Report FAQs

Q1: How much does it cost to obtain an accident report in Florida?

A: The cost of obtaining an accident report in Florida varies depending on the method used and the law enforcement agency. Generally, fees range from $0 to $10.

Q2: Can I obtain an accident report if I wasn't directly involved in the accident?

A: In most cases, only the parties involved in the accident, their legal representatives, or their insurance companies can obtain a copy of the accident report.

Q3: How long do law enforcement agencies keep accident reports in Florida?

A: Florida law enforcement agencies are required to retain accident reports for at least five years.

Q4: What information do I need to provide when requesting an accident report?

A: When requesting an accident report, you'll typically need to provide the case number, date of the accident, location, and names of the parties involved.

Q5: Can I request an accident report from the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) directly?

A: No, the FLHSMV does not provide accident reports directly. Instead, you should request the report from the local law enforcement agency that investigated the accident or through the Florida Crash Portal.

Do You Need a Car Accident Lawyer in Florida?

If you or a loved one is suffering from back pain as a result of a rear-end car accident in Florida, you should speak with a skilled and experienced Orlando car accident attorney as soon as possible because you may be entitled to compensation. Please don’t hesitate to call our Orlando, Florida personal injury law firm today at (321) 352-7588 to schedule your free consultation by phone, or you can contact us on our website. When you schedule a consultation at our law firm, you will get a consultation with a car accident lawyer, not a customer service representative or intake person.

If you need a South Carolina personal injury lawyer, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (843) 638-6590. We have at least one lawyer licensed in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina. So, if you’ve been injured in the Southeast, we may be able to help. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us.